Day 20: Steampunk

Continued driving northward today as we round in on the last few days of the trip. I'm sorry to be coming to the end, but also am looking forward to being home. I miss my bed. And being able to stand up straight, or even at all, in my living space. 

I drove through Dunedin, stopping only briefly. I walked through the city centre and had a bit of a browse around, checking out some of the street art Mel recommended - of which I loved and photographed and then realised I had filled my memory card and none were saved. This is why I only have a few photos of Dunedin... but enjoy.




After Dunedin, I had my sights on Oamaru, a little town I had heard of for its love of Victoriana and steampunk. I love both those things!

The town is full of old railway trappings, and factories and warehouses repurposed into shopfronts and museums. I loved all the old buildings and the cute bunting flapping in the breeze (you really can't go wrong with a bit of bunting, in my book).


This weird frame thing is such a New Zealand-wide phenomenon and I love it. It's so sweet and cocky all at once.





I visited Whitestone City, a small local history museum with a fun dress-up component. I didn't get dressed up in Victorian clothing but very much enjoyed those that did. It wasn't exactly a hard-hitting museum, but it was cute and fun and a nice way to spend some time.






The outing I was most excited for was the trip to 'Steampunk HQ', an interactive steampunk experience. I'm not sure what I was expecting and, to be honest, really don't even know how to explain it appropriately. It was like someone took a junkyard, an art gallery, really weird genre fiction, and a haunted house and squished them all together. It was the weirded mish-mash of a location I had ever seen. I cannot tell you that it was well done. I cannot tell you that it was a tourist destination of any real quality. But what I can say is that I absolutely loved it and truly applaud it's dedication to just being weird.








I want a job writing these weird exhibit labels.














It was insane and weird. Renae and Matt - you would have loved it!

Okay well I'm off to go see the penguins tonight and I've got just enough time to post this before I walk down. See you tomorrow!




Animal Sightings:

  • cows
  • sheep
  • seagulls
  • penguins (soon)



Today's Playlist:
  • Baly Family Circus #41: How Do I Deal with Annoying Neighbours and Other Questions
  • Do Go On #32: MySpace
  • Reply All #20: I Want to Break Free
  • Science Rules #22: What's Clean, Green and Combats Climate Change?
  • Shut Up a Second #333: Bad Dudes
  • Shut Up a Second #334 Movies I (Adam) Haven't Seen
  • Stephen Fry's 7 Deadly Sins #2.1 - Introduction


Daily Stats:
Kilometres Travelled: 211km (4053 in total)





2 comments:

  1. Such a shame your holiday is coming to an end! I have loved seeing all your photos and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing more photos tomorrow of penguins :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PENGUINGS! The steampunk museum was perfectly described. What a cool little spot. You have some great photos here :)

    ReplyDelete