Day 14: Hello from above the clouds

A nice and early start today to get to the airfield in time for the helicopter ride. Despite the early start, the township of Franz Josef was already up and bustling beneath its mountains.



Having cancelled the glacier hike, I was a little worried that this experience would be a bit of a letdown, but it most certainly wasn't. There were six of us inside the little helicopter, but with two being under the age of 5, it certainly wasn't too squashed - and it was oh so cute watching one little boy go from terrified to completely enraptured.



We flew up and did a loop over the Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers, taking in views of Mount Tasman and Mount Cook, New Zealand's two tallest mountains. The sheets of unblemished snow were truly a sight to be held, as were the craggy down croppings of ice as the glacier climbed down the mountainside.






Fox Glacier

Fox Glacier

Fox Glacier



Franz Josef Glacier

It was only a 25 minute flight, but it was long enough to be blown away by the sights - and to wish to go over all again.

From Franz Josef I drove south, stopping at Lake Matheson (the mirror lake), in the hopes of getting a nice look at Mt Cook reflected in the dark still waters. I was doubtful as, by this time, the clouds really had started to settle in. I decided I would do the hike to the first viewpoint to test my luck before committing to the whole lake loop. Regrettably, I was correct, and the sky was far too cloudy to even see the mountain, let alone get the reflection. Still, the walk was a pleasant one.

Two swing bridges in two days? Now I'm getting spoiled.


You can just see Mt Cook (or Mt Tasman... I'm not 100%) poking it's head out above the clouds.

New Zealand really does make instagramming easy...

Despite not getting the view I was after, I did get these wonderful little peeks of the mountains through the clouds, like new lands in the sky. Very His Dark Materials.




I headed to Jackson Bay for a late lunch - quite the trek really, but Kelly was insistent on my going to The Cray Pot for fish and chips. I drove the whole way hoping for the best, as I find fish and chips have a general propensity towards the disappointing. But thankfully for Kelly's future as a travel guide, they really were lovely and well worth the drive.




So now I say goodnight to you all as I prepare to slather myself in another layer of sandfly repellant and resist the urge to scratch my skin raw. Goodnight all!


Animal Sightings:
  • ALL THE SANDFLIES
  • cows
  • sheep
  • horse
  • a New Zealand falcon pulling entrails out of roadkill. I actually saw the guts being pulled out and it was quite the sight. You're welcome.
  • seagulls

Today's playlist
  • Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
  • D&D is for Nerds - Hus Firma Pride #23: Wolves of Winter
  • My Year in Mensa #1: IQ and the Average Girl
  • My Year in Mensa #2: Phoenix in July
  • My Year in Mensa #3: Hotel Meetings, Mead Guys and MAGA Hats
  • My Year in Mensa #4: Scottish Hooters and the Death of the Mensa Slut
  • Unprompted and Unwanted #2

Daily Stats:
Kilometers travelled: 259 (3016 in total)
Times I hit my head on the van: 1 (8 in total)
Number of swing bridges: 1 (2 in total)
Number of minutes of hot water given at campground: 5
Number of minutes I actually needed: oh at least 6




8 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Just wow! The helicopter shots are amazing!!! Oh and thanks for the visuals of the falcon eating the road kill! Lucky I haven't had dinner yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so glad you enjoyed the fish and chips. And that view!!! Just the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it fish or battered entrails?

    ReplyDelete
  4. FUSH AND CHUPS! They look so good! I’m so jealous you got to ride in a helicopter. Bloody cool.

    ReplyDelete