Day 16: I gave it a shot

Had a nice short driving today, which was quite the treat! And, bonus, I'm staying two nights in my current campground (only time on the trip) so I could even have a sneaky sleep in tomorrow if I wanted. What luxury.

I made the short drive from Wanaka to Arrowtown and completely lucked out by finding a mini markets - I've lost all sense of time so had forgotten it was a Sunday. There wasn't a huge number of stalls, but I completely won out with what was there.





The bakery Gypsy Oven had some marvellous offerings, and I caved* and bought two pastries: a tomato/spinach/mushroom/feta savoury danish, and a Dulche de Leche filled croissant. They were drool-worthy and you should feel bad that you weren't there to enjoy them.


I spent some time puttering around Arrowtown, which was a charming and old-fashioned shopping village. Lots of cute buildings and quirky shops. It would have been right at home in the Blue Mountains.





Arrowtown is conveniently placed about half an hour out of Queenstown and the intervening mountains and valley were stunning. I wonder if you lived here if you'd just get used to it. I don't know if you could, the mountains are just massive and the colours are beautiful. I could sit and stare at them all day.

Getting to Queenstown I was a little surprised. I had pictured a much bigger city and I was pleased by its accessibility (once a car park had been found, the first time I've struggled with this the whole trip). It wasn't the Sydney-esque CBD I had envisioned but was much more like a more tourist-oriented, beachy, Penrith. It was very easy to get around and was quite pleasant.





I stopped for lunch at Big Fig on the recommendation of Mel, and it was a well-warranted vote. The restaurant prices by the plate, and doesn't have a set menu. You just pop in and choose what you'd like from that day's Mediterranean offerings. I loved the premise, and the food was delicious.





I wandered about exploring Queenstown for a bit, and at the wharf I found a stand selling duck food. Looking in the lake I saw oh so many ducks - so of course, I had to feed them! I love ducks, and was delighted when I got them to eat out of my hands. So cute.





After completely falling in love with all the ducks, I headed back out of town a smidge to Arthur's Point to one of the things I had been most looking forward to: the Shotover Jet. This jet-ski-esque boat whips through the gorge on the Kimiākau river at top speeds, uncomfortably close to the rocks. I had seen videos on line and just had to have a turn, and I was not disappointed. It was thrilling. I did take a video of the boating but, to be honest, I am far too tired to edit it into something watchable (you don't want to watch thirty minutes of video), so I'll have to owe you.






Well that's it for me today. I'm all tucked in at the biggest campsite I've stayed in ever (I'm in space #100 and there's at least that many again) and am looking forward to an early night.



Animal Sightings:

  • ducks
  • geese
  • sheep

Today's Playlist:
  • Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
  • Sawbones: The Father of Homeopathy
  • Sawbones: Menstruation
  • Sawbones: Royal Rife
  • Sawbones: Leprosy
  • Science Rules #14: Machine Smarts
  • Science Rules #15: How to Survive Another Chernobyl
  • Unprompted & Unwanted #4
  • Unprompted & Unwanted #5
  • Unprompted & Unwanted #6: 2017
  • Unprompted & Unwanted #7: Questions


Daily Stats:
Kilometres Travelled: 91km (3258 in total)
Number of ducks who ate from my hands: 3
Number of campers I can see from my seat: 42
Number of campers bigger than poor Frank: 42





*This sounds like there was momentary resistance. There was not. I made a beeline right to them.

5 comments:

  1. Loved reading your blog Rebecca and following your travels. Now you are in one of my favourite places. Enjoy Queenstown and the rest of your trip. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this looks wonderful but anything with ‘jet’ in the name is totes the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shot over jet looks so cool!! Can’t wait to see the video. Arrowtown is a very Becca place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looked like you ate carrots for lunch it was a large serve. Did they have honey on them :). Next time don't feed the ducks it looks like a plague:> :> :> Mum

    ReplyDelete