Day 10: Me vs. the Wind

Here's Day 10 - coming to you a day late because last night I stayed in a wi-fi black hole.

Yesterday was a day in which I battled the elements at nearly every turn. New Zealand refused to cooperate, but it did it so forthrightly that you couldn't really mind too much.

I started off with a smidge of a sleep in - if you can banish the thought of being inside a hearse (I think it's the little curtains) then it's actually rather cosy in the van. And then put in a few hours driving towards and through Abel Tasman National Park.

Here I was looking to visit Te Waikoropupū Springs. They are New Zealand's largest freshwater springs, the largest coldwater springs in the Southern Hemisphere, and (the point of intrigue for me) some of the clearest waters ever on record.



And here is where the elements really started to fight me because my goodness were these waters clear - but do you think I could get a photo that would show it? No!

The springs were accessible by a weaving path through and over the springs, which was a lovely little trip. Plus there were lots of little bridges - and I love a little bridge! Or a big bridge. Any bridge really.




The walked centred in on the largest open part of the spring and this was just astounding. It was quite deep, but you could see right down to the bottom as if there was barely any water there at all. The water bubbling up from the underground wells was not my friend in taking the photos, but this photo (#10, scroll to the bottom) gives a far better indication of just how clear it was.






After exploring the spring, I continued northward, around Golden Bay, into the Kiwi. Did you know New Zealand had a kiwi as part of its coastline? So cute. I was staying in the 'eye of the kiwi' for the night, up at Wharariki Beach. And here is where I learned the secret of New Zealand.


Are you ready for it?

I know why everyone in New Zealand is fit and healthy. They make you hike a million miles to see anything interesting. EVERYTHING. COMES. WITH. A HIKE.

Now, I'm not opposed to this in theory, but when I think 'hike to a tourist destination' I think maybe a reasonable, accessible stroll. When the sign says '20 minutes', I think, okay, I'm slow. Let's give it 40 but I'll get there in the end.

But no. New Zealand says '20 minute easy walk' and they actually mean:

  • an hour at least
  • nearly entirely uphill
  • extremely narrow walkway next to your doom a cliff a hill a very small drop-off that certainly wouldn't hurt me if I fell, I promise. 
  • wind that was so strong it blew me over twice
  • a sand storm
  • senior citizens who lapped me, causing what was left of my self-worth to crumble
  • cows
I’m aware that all that makes me sound rather pathetic. But, well, I am.

I managed quite well until I got to the beach part, to be truthful.

I was heading to the Wharaiki Beach because I wanted to see the Archway Islands - plus I had heard rumours of seal pups in the rock pools. Ah but see, the elements. Those pesky elements. Firstly, I was just a smidge too late tidewise to get the view I really wanted, but the big problem was the gale-force winds that were coming in off the ocean. It truly did knock me to the ground several times and throughout it all the sand was coming at me so fast it was in my eyes, my hair, my mouth, just swirling all around me. After struggling towards the shore for at least 20 minutes, I gave up, took a hasty shot from where I was, and headed out of the sand storm.

Stopping just off the beach to catch my breath (I’m playing the ‘still heavily medicated’ card here people) a very healthy looking man, carrying a baby stopped to see if I was okay. First of all: he shouldn’t be allowed to talk to me. He was clearly far too capable, taking care of both himself and an infant in that maelstrom. But then, to really make matters worse, after making sure I was able to get back… he asked if I saw the seals. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Not only did I have so much sand in my shoes that it was hurting, I had missed the seals after all. You win this round New Zealand, but I am less than pleased.

At this point, I was still hopeful. Yes, it was windy, but those formations really aren't far at all! That's a 5-minute stroll, tops.

It seriously took me 20 minutes to get to this half waypoint. I'm most annoyed that this photo doesn't show the huge swirls of sand coming up around me. That would at least validate me and not make me look incompetent. 

So I made it back to the campsite alive if not entirely well. Exploring the grounds, I found this on the kitchen door and thought it rather amusing...




...but later when this family of peacocks literally stole the remains of my pie out of my hands, after already holding it up out of their reach for what I did manage to eat, I could see how it was a necessary sign.




He waited at the counter so long as if he was expecting service. Sadly, it didn't come.



Animal Sightings:

  • cows
  • sheep
  • horse
  • peacocks
  • various fish

Today's Playlist

  • D&D is for Nerds - Hus Firma Pride #3: Into the Tomb
  • D&D is for Nerds - Hus Firma Pride #4: Werebear
  • How Stuff Works: What’s the difference between deodorant and antiperspirant?
  • How Stuff Works: Is sleep that important?
  • How Stuff Works: What are smart mobs?
  • How Stuff Works: Is there a torture manual?
  • How Stuff Works: Are humans wired to survive?
  • How Stuff Works: Why do people blush?
  • How Stuff Works: How Graceland Works
  • Reply All #5: Jennicam
  • Reply All #6: This Proves Everything
  • Reply All #7: This Website is For Sale
  • Reply All #8: Anxiety Box
  • Reply All #9: The Writing on the Wall
  • Reply All #10: The French Connection
  • Science Rules #7: Language Rules!
  • Science Rules #8: Are We Alone in the Universe?
  • Science Rules #9: Discover Your Reading Superpower with LeVar Burton
  • Science Rules #10: Eating Like a Science Guy
  • Science Rules #11: Your Climate Change Reality Check
  • Unprompted & Unwanted #1

Daily Stats:
Kilometres travelled: 126 (1830 in total)
Number of senior citizens who out healthed me: 5

4 comments:

  1. Really the difference between hill and hell is just a fine line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this blog and the photos! Thanks for making me feel like I am there :) Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. senior citizens Rebecca really.....that is really funny and even funnier if I had gone with you they would have out lapped me right along with you.

    But I don't do sand so swirly sand I probably would have stayed with Frank until you got back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you would keep running into the fittest senior citizens in the world! I enjoy the peacocks ;)

    ReplyDelete