Day 15: Chasing Waterfalls

Today was a very watery day... but I guess it's been a bit of a watery trip really. All my stopping points were waterfall or lake related, and it made for quite the set of views.

The first pit stop on the trail was Thunder Creek Falls, a 96 metre waterfall in Mt Aspiring National Park, flowing into the Haast River. This was one of the most easily accessible landmarks I've seen so far on this trip, so if you're looking for a nice easy stop to stretch your legs, I recommend this one!

The waterfall wasn't wide, but it was very pretty and had the advantage of that lovely bright blue water of the Haast River. New Zealand does its colours well. I have a real compulsion to touch all the water in these rivers, so I'll let you know that this water was rather chilling.





A short while down the road was the Fantail Falls, just a short stroll away from the highway. I really lucked out when I got there and, despite there being plenty of people in the carpark, managed to get the falls all to myself for quite some time. It was wonderful having that time to myself and it felt like I had stepped into some unknown world.










Just look at how clear that water is! It's deeper than it looks in this little pool, definitely ankle deep. Yes, I waded in it a little (when else do you get the chance to wade in alpine rivers?) and ... oooh it was cold. Definitely not swimmable.

These two stops were on Haast Highway, heading towards Wanaka. As I approached the town, I drove between two very large lakes: Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea. There were no safe spots to stop to get any good photos of Lake Hawea, but it was really beautiful. It was rather frustrating to have to concentrate on the road instead of fawning over the view. I did find a few spots to stop and overlook Lake Wanaka and, of course, got closer views when in Wanaka itself.






I ticked another spot off the New Zealand bucket list today by visiting 'That Wanaka Tree', a tree growing in the waters of Lake Wanaka. It's a famed tourist spot and draws a huge number of photographers taking wonderful photos. I am considering getting up early to get a sunrise photo tomorrow*, but I took some today. Just don't look at others on Instagram as they will put mine horribly to shame.





Having picked up a few groceries and indulging in a danish from a bakery in town, I checked in at my campsite and then headed right back into town to stop at Ruby's Cinema and Bar to take in a movie. I didn't want to miss out on seeing the new Little Women** at the cinema. It was a very cool little cinema with a bar in the lobby and very limited seatings. Like Blaxland Cinema but much fancier.





Animal Sightings:
  • cows
  • horse
  • sheep

Today's Playlist:
D&D is for Nerds - Hus Firma Pride #24: Underground

D&D is for Nerds - Hus Firma Pride #25: Hus Firma Proud
Do Go On #21: Sir Edmund Hilary
Do Go On #22: The Mystery of D.B. Cooper
Movie Maintenance: Jurassic World
Sawbones: Self-Surgery
Sawbones: Alcoholism
Sawbones: Hangovers
Stuff You Should Know: How Albert Einstein's Brain Worked
Stuff You Should Know: How Corporate Personhood Works
Stuff You Should Know: How Thanksgiving Works
Stuff You Should Know: How OCD works
Stuff You Should Know: How Guerilla Gardening Works
Unprompted & Unwanted #3



Daily Stats:
Kilometres travelled: 151km (3167 in total)
Times I hit my head on the van: 1 (9 in total)
Number of sandfly bites on my feet: 17
Number of vans parked in my area: 8
Number of sheep sleeping in my area: 21





*I think we all know this will NEVER happen
** I have very strong thoughts and opinions and need to discuss them.

7 comments:

  1. Your photos are absolutely stunning!!!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very strong opinions? You didn't like it? BTW, thank you for sharing your travels with us, I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the attempt to make it their own, and some of the additions I really loved. But over all... I didn't love it.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving the blog but VERY concerned about how many times you are hitting your head! Maybe a podcast on Muscle Memory might help for the future days.
    And remember....Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to, I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothing at all, But I think you're moving too fast.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's hard moving around in this van! I can't stand up. Also, I know this is a song cause Jess made the same joke. But I have no idea what song it is.

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4

      And this if isn't on tomorrow's playlist I'll be miffed.

      Delete
    3. RENEE GETS ME! I made her a playlist and will be updating it to include this; although, I don’t think it’s making the travel cut 😂 not travel related, keen on your Little Women thoughts! Good photos, top fodder!

      Delete