30 Days of Indie Travel {Day 2}




Day 2: EMBRACING CHANGE
Change can be exciting and bring new joys into our lives. But it can present challenges that frustrate or annoy us. How has travel changed you in the last year? Did you welcome these changes or resist them at the time, and how do you feel about them now?


Without a doubt, the traveling I have done in the past year has made me more independent - and far more aware of this independence. I have not undertaken any great, long-running trips, but the shorter stints I have undertaken have been mostly solo and I have loved every minute of it.




In July of this year I headed out on my Sydney-Brisbane road trip - first road trip, first real solo travel, first time in a campervan - and I could not have loved it more. While I already considered myself fairly independent and knew that I got on pretty well with just myself for company, I was still a little surprised to learn how right it felt. *lightbulb* OOOH so THIS is traveling. Got it. I learnt (very quickly!) to enjoy being the only boss, the only one who made any of the decisions about where to go, what to see, how to get there, basically anything and everything. Unfortunately I also learnt that I get pretty crabby the week I get home and learn that this is no longer the case!


Tacking Point Light


The biggest way the past years' travel, and this trip in particular has changed me is the complete willingness to up and go again. When, for example, Lisa had to come up to Canberra for work, I jumped in the car and drove down for a weekend stay just for the fun of it - which is something I never would have down even a year ago.

So has travel in the past year changed me? I think yes. Have I resisted it? No, in fact I rather enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment