PC 003 Satay Chicken Skewer



On Thursday nights Jess stays over so she got to choose the recipe from the book this week. "Give me a random page number," I asked... and then she didn't like what she got and chose again. Spoiled, I tells you.

But it worked out okay because she picked a good one after all.





Difficulty: 3.5/5
There was a bit of pot juggling for this one. Rice is going, while the chicken is going, while a satay sauce is being cooked. I didn't have the grill plate requested, and I really struggled to ribbon the cucumber - I think a mandoline or larger peeler was in order. The recipe called for a 'grated onion' which think was rather akin to torture. I also blundered by missing an entire step in the recipe and left out two ingredients, leaving the satay sauce a bit thicker than it should have been. It still tasted great and, overall, the recipe wasn't that hard. It just would be well served by a second go around.


Ingredients: 3/5
Most of the ingredients were easy to find, but I had to pick up a handful of things I don't usually have on hand - coconut creams, crunchy peanut butter (this is a smooth house), sweet chilli sauce, and light soy sauce. In addition, I was unable to locate peanut oil at Woolies. Probably could have found it if I had more time to look, maybe pop into the Asian market, but we subbed in sesame oil and that did the trick.





Flavour: 5/5
Despite the textual oddities with the satay sauce, this was a great meal. Cooking the chicken separate from the sauce gave it it's own unique taste. The combination of spices and the sesame oil really held up well through the cooking process and it had just enough kick. Next time I'll experiment with making coconut rice.


Repeatability: 5/5
Oh, this is definitely getting made again, if only to sort out the errors I made the first time around.





No comments:

Post a Comment