Day 3: Waitomo, what’s the Makamaka with you?

When you drive for multiple hours on your own you think of weird things and this title seemed funny to me at the time. It’s probably not.

Big day today and a great one! I snuck out of the campsite super early and stealthily (sort of) and went to two different locations over the course of the day.



Waitomo Glow Worm Caves, Waitomo

I’ll admit that I wasn’t particularly excited to go to the Glow Worm Caves. It just wasn’t on my list of must-sees, but everyone recommended it and it seemed quite popular so I included it on my way. 

Wow.

I absolutely loved it.



I was a little worried that I might feel a little claustrophobic in the caves - but after the first 10 metres or so the caves open up into massive caverns. The tour guide we had was quite a young man but he handled himself quite well and delivered his routine to great appreciation. The caves were just stunning, drippy stalactites coming down all around us.

When we got to the bottom-most point of the caves they pointed out the glowworms and, again, I wasn’t that fussed really - until I realised that I was just looking at their reflection on the water rather than the worms themselves. Such tiny, little pinpricks of light upon the roofs. It was incredible. And then when hit with the light you could see their webs (I know web isn’t the right word, but I can’t remember… it was like a dangling web though) coming down like strings of jewels and it was a totally different experience. I can understand how insects get trapped by them because they were right there in front of my face and I didn’t even realise.

At the conclusion of the tour, we boarded a boat (in the dark, mind you. I’m more than a little impressed with myself that I didn’t end up IN the river) and we travelled through the tunnel out. This was the most beautiful part of all. The glow worms filled the ceiling and down the walls all around us. It was a constellation of stars, like the clearest night sky you could ever hope to see. Everyone was completely awed. The tour guide navigated the tunnel and moved the boat about by pulling us along a series of suspended ropes over their head and I thought this very cool and I definitely wanted a turn.

Anyways. No pictures allowed in the caves but I encourage you to go google. I did get a few photos on the walk back to the top and it was such a contrast to the mostly pastoral surroundings I’d been seeing so far. Starting to see what people mean when they talk about New Zealand being all countries in one.








Hobbiton Movie Tour, Matamata
The Shire, Middle Earth

In contrast to the Glow Worm Caves, the Hobbiton tour was right on the top of my list (cross it off the nerd bucket list!).

What can I say about visiting The Shire? It was magical. Everything was so beautifully detailed and just so real. This was the part that impressed upon me the most: the care and devotion that was taken to making everything on the grounds as real as humanly (hobbitly?) real. Everything from the trees to the growing vegetables, even the smoke coming out a chimney top. Everything was real.

Our tour guide was so enthusiastic and funny - clearly, he loves his job. Lots of behind the scene facts and stories, which were great fun, and everything culminated in a stop at The Green Dragon where everyone was treated to an ale, cider, or ginger beer, all recipes that can only be had at The Green Dragon.

Anyways, I could rave on and on about it, but how about we look at some photos, hey? I won’t post them all (I had a little too much fun), but I’m sure to spam you all the same.




Katie and Amy - when we move to The Shire, this can be your Hobbit hole. 





Jess, I picked this one for you and Zac - there's festive decorations! 
The tour guide




Wendy, this is your home!

Bag End

Renae, I picked this one for you because it had sunflowers

Sam and Rosie's house 







For now, I’m camped down nice and cosy in the van. Last night I pulled the bed out to its full width (slightly wider than a single) but after the Circe de Soleil level of acrobatics required this morning to put everything back, I shall be sleeping on it in its couch setting tonight. I am a little worried I’ll roll off and fall between the seat and the bench. I may never get back up. So if you don’t hear from me tomorrow, that’s where I am.



Animal Sightings:

  • A whole mess of cows
  • Heaps of sheep
  • 2 (or maybe one fast-flying) falcon
  • Ducks!
  • More deer
  • Alpacas
  • Black swans
  • A bunny
  • 2 staffies just roaming about
  • Turkeys

Today's Playlist:

  • Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
  • Sawbones: Mercury
  • Sawbones: Blood Letting
  • Sawbones: Plague Medicine
  • Welcome to Night Vale #160: The Weather
  • Stuff You Should Know: How Oil Shale Works
  • Sawbones: Opium
  • Sawbones: Hysteria
  • Stuff You Should Know: Death Proof Cars
  • Sawbones: Amputation Sawbones: Lobotomy

Daily stats:
Kilometres travelled: 330 (459 total)
Times I hit my head on the van: 3 (4 total)
Times I wished I lived in The Shire: ALL THE TIMES
Days biggest win: that I did actually need the stupid power cord again and so feel a lot better about shelling out all the money.
Days worst mistake: My slipshod approach to putting on sunscreen.

4 comments:

  1. I love the title- very funny.
    The second tour guide looked very knowledgeable ;)
    How pretty is Hobbit town?!
    PS Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for validating my humour! Oh I did not want to leave Hobbiton at all. It was just so pretty. Happy New Year to you also!

      Delete
  2. We really really wanted to see glow worms when we were on the South Island but our rescheduling kept mucking you our plans! So glad you had a fun time doing it. Very punny title - Zac approves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, not a huge Hobbit person but soooooooo keen for Hobbiton.

      Delete